The AFC East enters Week 6 with a major shakeup to the standings. After losing to the New York Jets, the Miami Dolphins fall all the way to third place in the division. The now-second place Jets look like they could do some damage throughout the rest of the season. Meanwhile, the Buffalo Bills should get more players back from injury this week. And the New England Patriots… well… they look the same as they have all season. So let’s get into some news and notes around the division.
AFC East Standings
- As mentioned earlier, the Bills look like they’re getting relief soon. Yesterday, we saw a handful of players return to practice, including CB Tre’Davious White, whose 21-day IR activation window opened. However, HC Sean McDermott quickly ruled him out for Week 6.
- Other players that returned to practice include TE Dawson Knox, S Jordan Poyer, LB Tremaine Edmunds, and CB Christian Benford.
- S Micah Hyde underwent surgery yesterday to repair the herniated disc in his neck, per ESPN. The recovery timetable is six-to-nine months.
- In addition to Offensive Player of the Week, Josh Allen has won the Fedex Air Player of the Week award.
- Despite multiple rumors circulating, the Bills aren’t currently pursuing FA WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- The Dolphins ruled out QB Tua Tagovailoa for this week, and could possibly be down another QB too. The team wouldn’t commit to Teddy Bridgewater being active for this week’s matchup against the Minnesota Vikings. However, if he is active, he would be the backup to seventh round pick Skylar Thompson.
- On the bright side, injury wise, Tua Tagovailoa returned to practice this week, 13 days after his scary collision on TNF.
- There is optimism around WR Tyreek Hill playing this week, despite suffering a foot injury last week, per ESPN.
New England Patriots
- Patriots HC Bill Belichick wouldn’t commit to Mac Jones returning as the starter once fully healthy.
“We’ll see… I don’t know.”Belichick on Mac Jones reclaiming the Starting QB job (via Cody Benjamin/CBS Sports)
- After being released earlier this week, WR Lil’Jordan Humphrey is expected to join the Patriots practice squad. The team also signed LB Calvin Munson to their practice squad.
- RB Damien Harris is expected to miss an extended period of time due to his hamstring injury, per NFL Network.
New York Jets
- LB Quincy Williams returned to practice this week after dealing with an ankle injury that sidelined him for the last two games. Rookie edge rusher Jermaine Johnson is currently day-to-day as he deals with an ankle injury as well.
- On Tuesday, the Jets worked out four DBs:
- Innis Gaines
- Troy Pride
- J.R. Reed
- James Wiggins
- The Jets have been getting production from their pass rush, with veteran DE Carl Lawson recording seven QB hits in last week’s divisional game against the Dolphins.
Featured Image: Gregory Fisher/USA TODAY Sports