“When you lose, talk little. When you win, talk less.” – Tom Brady
The wife and I were eagerly awaiting our order at an ice cream stand in Lee, Massachusetts over Memorial Day weekend. I overheard other customers talking about the Bruins playoff run in progress. A Priest at church in town mentioned the Bruins both in his homily as well as in his closing words. I noticed the Bruins paraphernalia at gas stations, stores, or service rest areas often on our little road trip.
“Really, it is remarkable that the Patriots keep going back, and they maintain the focus and dedication necessary to do it, It just becomes, quote, old hat. It’s just almost unfathomable what they’ve accomplished. So they sure do deserve great credit, and it shows you that the draft isn’t perfect. Sixth-rounder at quarterback. Many will rate him the greatest quarterback ever. It’s an amazing streak they have going.” – Marv Levy
The Celtics playoffs cornered the conversation at the Bar at the Inn we were dwelling at but drifted a tad towards the Red Sox as the weather got nicer.
“I never came here to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings. I came here to win.” – Rex Ryan
Back home all the talk is about McBeane, Josh Allen, and the Bills. The Sabres managed to grab some press coverage as they won the draft lottery for 2021. Talk radio and bar conversations will trend back to the Bills as the Sabres are in the midst of an embarrassing playoff drought.
“Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.” – Bill Belichick
As close to Boston as we were I saw very little Patriots support. At a Brewery in town, I was chatting with a couple of guys wearing Patriot wind shirts. I inquired why things were so quiet about the Pats, seeing as they dominate media time throughout NFL coverage year in and year out. I got an earful that challenges any rant from one “Negative Stanley.” The “Hoodie Coach” has seen his better days according to these clowns. They were adamant that the Pats dropped the ball by not having Brady locked up under contract until he is 50. Same for Gronk. These guys were already appearing frustrated with rebuilding the Pats. Really? OMG. One off year to this point in time?
“Find a happy place. Find a happy place.” –Lloyd Christmas
Are you kidding me? The Patriots have won 17 AFC East titles since Drew Bledsoe took the famous hit that almost killed him. Mo Lewis caused a concussion and internal bleeding to Bledsoe, resulting in the start of Tom Brady’s ongoing Hall of Fame career. This was the week the NFL resumed play following the horrible events of September 11. They had a 16-0 record in 2007. The Patriots appeared in 13 AFC Championship games in this time frame. This coach/QB combination went to nine Super- Bowls coming away with six world championships.
This Dynasty of all Dynasties pulled off 19 consecutive winning seasons. The Bills almost tied that with consecutive seasons missing the playoffs. The two teams’ streaks were almost the exact same length. So did New England’s success cause the Bills embarrassing playoff drought? Did the Bills’ poor product on the field assist the Pats in winning so much? Same division. I would say yes to both questions.
What I came away with after conversations and observations while traveling in Massachusetts is that Patriot fans are spoiled. Some would say Boston sports fans, in general, take winning for granted.
Buffalo sports fans do not. They take anything they can get. I digress.
Things we know about the Buffalo Bills this week:
– The Bills veteran players are encouraged to see close to the full roster in attendance for the spring workouts. Pretty impressive. We have a team in Orchard Park.
– Two day three standouts from the 2020 draft class – Kicker Tyler Bass and Wide Receiver Gabriel Davis are already respected throughout the NFL. Great teams hit on draft picks in the first round, but also in later rounds, up to and including the seventh round. Hitting on undrafted free agents can be a big difference-maker. Developing players on the practice squad is essential.
– The Bills have agreed to a standard four-year deal with Defensive End Gregory Rousseau, which includes a total guarantee of $11,367,075.
– CBSSports.com’s Jason LaCanfora has picked Edmunds as his Defensive Player of the Year.
– The Bills converted more than $11.7 million of wide receiver Stefon Diggs’ base salary into a signing bonus, according to ESPN.