Well, that was an interesting week if you’re a Buffalo Bills fan. The Bills lost in dramatic fashion, but that’s nothing new for Bills Mafia. And it doesn’t look like this week will get any better. Two teams, the New York Jets and New England Patriots had their byes last week. So, the Miami Dolphins were the only AFC East team to win this week, and it helped them move into sole possession of first place. Now, let’s get into some news and notes around the division.
AFC East Standings
- Miami Dolphins (7-3)
- New York Jets (6-3)
- Buffalo Bills (6-3)
- New England Patriots (5-4)
- Pass rusher Emmanuel Ogbah will miss the remainder of the season with a torn tricep.
- Tua Tagovailoa was named the FedEx Air Player of the Week for the third consecutive week.
- Kicker Jason Sanders has had a bad season, missing four FG attempts and three XP attempts. Despite that, Sanders still has support from HC Mike McDaniel.
“He’s given me no reason to believe that he won’t get the things corrected.”McDaniel on Sanders’ struggles this season (via Mike Masala/DolphinsWire)
New York Jets
- The Jets could bring in a familiar face soon. The team worked out FA OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and could sign him to their practice squad. Tardif opted out in 2020 to help fight the Covid pandemic in Canada.
- Sauce Gardner continues to shine on the Jets defense, allowing 189 yards on 366 coverage snaps, and totaling two INTs and 13 passes defended.
- WR Elijah Moore says he feels rejuvenated since rejoining the Jets after the trade deadline, returning to the team with a smile on his face.
“I feel good… got my spirit right. I reflected over everything… had time with my family. I feel good… rejuvenated.”Moore on returning to the Jets (via Brian Costello/New York Post)
- The Bills didn’t have a great day of practice on Wednesday. Josh Allen was limited with his elbow injury. Tremaine Edmunds didn’t practice after suffering a groin injury Sunday. Additionally, Reggie Gilliam, Matt Milano, Jordan Phillips, Cam Lewis, and Tim Settle missed practice with non-Covid illnesses.
- Von Miller and Rodger Saffold also missed practice with a veteran’s rest day. Needless to say, the Bills couldn’t get a full team going for practice today.
- Buffalo is expecting 3-6 feet of snow this week, which could impact this week’s game. The NFL said they are monitoring the weather in Buffalo, and the league has been in contact with both clubs.
New England Patriots
- The Patriots signed former TE Hunter Thedford to their practice squad, but it comes with a twist. Thedford will switch to OT in New England, and gained 30 pounds to make the position switch.
- RB Ty Montgomery will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery.
- The Patriots had multiple players limited in practice Wednesday, including WR DeVante Parker, DT Christian Barmore, S Kyle Dugger, LBs Josh Uche and Anfernee Jennings, and Punter Jake Bailey.
Featured Image: AP