After a week where we saw every AFC East team win their matchup, we look ahead to Week 3. The Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills battle for top spot in the division, the Jets look to take advantage of the Cincinnati Bengals cold start to the season, and the New England Patriots look to take advantage of a Baltimore Ravens team who lost in dramatic fashion last week. So let’s take a look at everything that has happened around the AFC East to date.
AFC East Standings
- CB Dane Jackson was released from the hospital yesterday, walking, after suffering a scary hit from teammate Tremaine Edmunds. Jackson didn’t practice yesterday, and won’t again today, according to HC Sean McDermott.
- Other players who didn’t practice yesterday include S Micah Hyde (neck), TE Dawson Knox (foot), and DT Jordan Phillips (hamstring). Hyde, Poyer, and Phillips won’t practice again today.
- LB Matt Milano (neck) was a full participant, while WR Gabe Davis (ankle) and S Jordan Poyer (foot) were limited participants.
- Coach McDermott says everyone else will practice in some capacity today.
- The Carolina Panthers signed fan favorite RB Raheem Blackshear from Buffalo’s practice squad. The Bills signed WR Tanner Gentry to the open spot.
- Star CB Xavien Howard was on the Dolphins injury report with a groin injury and did not practice yesterday.
- QB Tua Tagovailoa won AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his dominating performance against Baltimore (36/50, 469 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs).
New England Patriots
- The Patriots traded OL Justin Herron to the Las Vegas Raiders in exchange for draft picks.
- WR Jakobi Meyers spent yesterday getting an MRI done on his knee. Tests showed nothing serious, and his status will be determined later this week. He was a DNP in practice yesterday.
- HC Bill Belichick had some nice things to say about Ravens QB Lamar Jackson this week. When asked if Lamar has answered everybody’s pre-draft concerns:
“Without a doubt. He’s the type of players that’s an MVP candidate… Wait until we see what his contract is, that will answer them.”Bill Belichick on Lamar Jackson
- The Tennessee Titans signed CB Terrance Mitchell off of New England’s practice squad.
New York Jets
- QB Zach Wilson was limited in practice yesterday, a step in the right direction in his recovery.
- HC Robert Saleh said he would like to get RB Breece Hall more involved:
“I do want to get him more involved. We see the home run potential. But I want to get Michael Carter carries too because of what he can do for our offense.”Robert Saleh on Breece Hall (Via Zack Rosenblatt)
- The Jets currently lead the league in pass attempts with QB Joe Flacco throwing the ball 103 times so far this season. Not a good way to start their season.
Featured Image: Gregory Fisher/USA TODAY Sports